Creative Mornings NY
Anyone who knows me at all knows I’m a regular at Creative Mornings NY. I have been going for almost a year now and have been to:
- December 2012, The Audience Takes The Stage” with Larry Legend, Prescott Perez Fox, and Catherine Mulbrandon
- January 2012, Girl Walk All Day Screening
- February 2012, Simon Sinek, Author of Start With Why
- March 2012, Benjamin Salka, CEO of Story Pirates
- May 2012, Bre Prettis, Founder of Makerbot
- July 2012, Kelli Anderson, Artist & Designer
- September 2012, Anne Frederick, Director of Hester Street Collaborative
- October 2012, Maira Kalman, Artist, Illustrator, Product Designer
Now what is the reason for this post?
As I attended my regular monthly Creative Mornings today — or as the speaker today put it “The Breakfast Club”, which I love, (both Creative Mornings and the Movie of course.) I realized what I truly love about this community is the speakers. Recently I’ve noticed that I’ve been sticking to industry related meetups, talks, classes, and networking events. As much as I love social media and digital, it’s wearing on me. Back in high school and college I would attend at least one concert a week. I was a film major watching countless of movies from all genres and regions of the world, and when I first moved to NYC there was never an event or corner I wouldn’t explore — from cooking lessons to comedy shows to photography group scoutings. Life is full of culture and I wanted to taste it all.
Point being is I miss mixing it up. And frankly, that’s the best part about Creative Mornings, when it comes down to the event I simply don’t have to think. I am always guaranteed an amazing speaker that will be at the peak of creativity in their industry. Whether that industry be film, illustration, design, art, science, tech, business, inspiration, or imagination. These mornings force me out of my usual social/digital comfort zone to explore the creative approaches to so many different fields. This is what I truly love about it.
P.S. If you know me at all, even when I can’t remember the date for the next Creative Morning, I always seem to have this six sense as to when the next one is coming. True Story. I also have a strategy when it comes to sign-up — which I can not reveal at this time.
Random Creative Mornings NY Photos: